Skin tags are small, soft, skin-coloured growths that hang off the skin and look a bit like warts.
They are very common, harmless, and can vary in colour and size – from a few millimeters up to 5cm (about 2 inches) wide.
Skin tags are usually found on the neck, armpits, around the groin, or under the breasts. They can also grow on the eyelids or under the folds of the buttocks.
Why skin tags occur?
Skin tags are made of loose collagen fibres and blood vessels surrounded by skin. Collagen is a type of protein found throughout the body.
Both men and women can develop skin tags. They tend to occur in older people and people who are obese or have type 2 diabetes.
Pregnant women may also be more likely to develop skin tags as a result of changes in their hormone levels. Some people develop them for no apparent reason.
Skin tags tend to grow in the skin folds, where the skin rubs against itself, such as on the neck, armpits or groin. This is why they tend to affect overweight people who have excess folds of skin and skin chafing.
When skin tags can be a problem?
- Skin tags are harmless and don’t usually cause pain or discomfort.
- However, you may consider having skin tags removed if they’re affecting your self-esteem, or if they snag on clothing or jewellery and bleed. You’ll usually need to pay to have this done privately.
- This is because skin tag removal is regarded as cosmetic surgery, which is rarely available through the NHS. Cosmetic surgery is usually only available on the NHS if the problem is affecting your physical or mental health.
- Sometimes, skin tags fall off on their own if the tissue has twisted and died from a lack of blood supply.
How do we treat skin tags?
- We use Hyfrecation, it is a fast and very effective treatment with instant results.
- The hyfrecator,which is a form of electro surgery, to treat skin tagswe use a low-powered medical setting which destroys tissue directly.
How much it will cost?
- For one skin tag removal it will cost only £45!
- Up to 10 skin tags removal at one session will cost £150.
Is it painful?
It is usually well tolerated without any local anaesthetic, but we can apply numbing cream to make it completely pain free.